Selling at Auction
Nothing beats the excitement as the battle for your lot intensifies on the auction floor. At Mellors & Kirk we guide you through the entire selling process; from valuation, collection and auctioning to receiving your cheque for the sale.
Getting a valuation and selling your item
- We offer free valuations at a variety of locations across the Midlands, find out more on our valuations page
- If you decide to sell you will be asked to sign a contract and we will receive, or collect the item(s) for cataloguing. The contract will specify the reserve, the seller’s commission and our Conditions of Business
- We will notify you of the date of the sale and if items are included in a Quarterly Fine Art sale you will receive the high quality full colour catalogue approximately two weeks in advance.
What is the sellers commission rate?
- 15% of the hammer price plus VAT
- Other charges, for example, marketing will be agreed in advance.
How do I get the items to the saleroom?
- We can help arrange collection of your items. The fee for this service can either be charged directly from the collection company, or deducted from your sale proceeds
- Please contact us if you wish to deliver your items to us, to arrange a mutually convenient time.
How do I find out sale results?
- All results will be available on our website at the end of each sale day
- Please do not hesitate to contact us to discuss sale results.
How soon will I be paid?
- Payment is made via bank transfer 21 days post sale
How to proceed if items remain unsold
- The seller will be notified of any unsold items. The seller can then either re-offer the lot(s) with a lower reserve in a future auction, or collect the lot(s).